Monday, November 6, 2023

Toki 71: Haircutting

I think most anime/manga fans out there know about Japanese pronouns like boku and ore. Both mean "I, me" and are mainly used by males and tomboys like Sera. Many boys use boku when they are young and then change to ore as they grow up (only when speaking casually). Sera does a similar thing in this series.

Sera must have started using ore some time after her life-changing defeat at the hands of Fujishiro Nanami. Toki is surprised to hear her use ore in chapter 40 but Sera also uses boku a few times in that same chapter and after, perhaps meaning she still isn't used to ore. In more recent chapters, Sera always or nearly always uses ore.

The climax to the match with Fujishiro, when she tells Hiroe what she's going to steal from her, was in chapter 43.

 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how they went from this into the whole 30 Yen fight now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, 30 yen is nearly nothing so the 30 yen fight was there, in part as a joke obviously, but also to show Sera and Hiroe had a very close connection despite being in different teams. And that's what we see here in Toki.

      Delete
    2. I mean, yeah, but by being written it is now part of the canon right? At least to me it means that at some point we'll get to see why it becomes a thing, i think i'm Just curious to get to the events right before when we meet them in Achiga manga tbh

      Delete
    3. I guess I'm curious about that too but I wonder if the series will get that far.

      Delete
    4. On the off-chance that you’re wondering about literally what the 30 yen thing was about, rather than the general state of their relationship, it was shown in the animated version of Kuro’s Birthday. (I totally feel like I’ve also seen it in the manga, but it’s not in Kuro’s Birthday itself nor anywhere else I’ve looked. Maybe Saki Biyori?) Basically, Hiroe was trying to buy a drink but was short on cash, and Sera was passing by and mocking her for bad mahjong that day, so Hiroe made her “lend” her 30 yen. One hour later, Sera tried to buy something for herself and found she was also short—needing those exact same 30 yen.

      Frankly, Hiroe deserves much more than 30 yen from Sera…

      Delete
  3. Thx for translations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful chapter. Thanks for reminding me why I still love these girls.

    ReplyDelete